Is it Better to Change One String at a Time?

Discussion in 'General Self Improvement' started by Kevin Mahoney, Nov 9, 2017. Replies: 0 | Views: 115

?

Is it easier to make many changes at once or one at a time?

1. All at once, momentum is key.

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. One at a time, slow and steady wins the race.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kevin Mahoney

Kevin Mahoney Coaching Member

Public Service
    I came across a discussion post this week that asked if it is better to change one string on a violin at a time or all of them at once. As one who has absolutely zero musical instrument experience, I had no opinion on the matter. The reason for the discussion appeared to be concern about the damage that could be done to the neck of a violin when removing the strings, all at once. The consensus seemed to be that changing all the strings at once was fine and that it was just an “old husband’s tale” (first time I heard that phrase) that said the neck of the violin would be damaged by such a change.

As I read the various responses, I could not help but see the connection to personal growth. Is it better to make one change at a time or many changes all at once? Does changing all of our “strings” at once damage us or is that just an outdated myth? One of the discussion post participants mentioned that a violin is fine when removing all the strings at once because, in reality, a violin would naturally prefer to not have any pressure from strings. It sounds like there are more similarities between people and violins than I thought.

So what do you think? Is it better for us to change one string at a time or change all of them at once?