Your 12 Point Plan for Personal Success
by Stephan Iscoe
No one becomes successful by accident. Success requires making a plan and sticking to it. It is simple, but does require commitment; it is not hard to do, but does require hard work. The good news is that once you begin, the results start coming almost instantly. The miracle of successful living is that the smallest step towards success attracts more success! Here is a very brief outline of the key points that will help you achieve the highest levels of success.
1. Look into the nearest mirror – the person staring back at you is the only person responsible for your success. Smile! No one else is the cause of your success or to blame for your short comings. Successful people take full responsibility for their actions.
2. Smile back at your reflection. Successful people are cheerful, optimistic, and forward thinking. If you think you don’t have anything to smile about, smile anyway. Positive thoughts drive out negative thoughts. It’s hard to have a negative thought while you are smiling!
3. Positive self-esteem is the foundation for success. Feel good about yourself and your abilities, achievements and potential. Don’t dwell on your mistakes. Remind and praise yourself on your past accomplishments. Congratulate yourself for taking positive steps toward a more successful future.
4. Believe in yourself. You are here for a purpose. God doesn’t make extras just to fill in the scenery. Find your mission and begin working to fulfill it.
5. Desire to be a success. Decide right now that you will be successful. Commit to being successful.
6. Associate with successful people. Do what they do. When faced with choices, make the choice a successful person would make. Blow your bonus check on a gambling trip or invest it?
7. Avoid unsuccessful people. Do not under any circumstances associate with negative people. Negative people are toxic; they destroy, they do not build. They are vampires that can live only by draining the life from others. The odds are greater that they will pull you down faster than you can lift them up. You can choose to stay away from all the negative people in your life. Avoid all the whiners, complainers, blamers and thumbsuckers.
8. Do what you are best at and what you get the most satisfaction from. There is no reason to stay stuck doing things that are frustrating, boring, unhealthy, unproductive, demeaning or unfulfilling.
9. Write down a vision of how you want to live your life. Be specific. Where you want to live, what kind of carpet, who your friends are, the pony’s name, what the new church rec hall you donated looks like, etc. Make a Future Scrapbook; paste in pictures, drawings, essays, clippings. Make up news headlines about your achievements. Every day visualize yourself as you would like to be – and then act that way!
10. Write down your biggest goal, the one you most want to fulfill. Write it in the present tense, “I am…”, “I have…”, “I contribute…”. Success is the result of a personal decision, so start your goal with “I”. Read your goal aloud every morning and night. Tell people your goal. Make a plan to achieve your goal and stick to it.
11. Study the science of success. Read books, listen to tapes, watch videos and positive TV programming. Talk to successful people and ask them how they became successful. Fill your mind with positive thoughts and give yourself positive self-affirmations.
12. Every day do something that brings you closer to your goal. Never give up. You can only fail if you quit trying. Keep on keeping on and you will succeed. Achieving success requires following a system. Begin today by putting these 12 points into daily practice.
Everybody experiences fear of failure, uncertainty, insecurity, low self-esteem, indecision, depression, nervousness and embarrassment. Successful people master these temporary conditions by taking positive action, by sticking to their plan, by maintaining their vision of the future, by learning from setbacks and by rededicating themselves to the pursuit of their mission. By following these simple steps you will become successful and achieve all that you desire.
Copyright S. Iscoe, 1998. Please feel free to copy and distribute this article, but only in its entirety, including this notice and the following credit lines.
Stephan Iscoe is a successful consultant and trainer in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Stephan welcomes your feedback at 888-842-5651.